Sunday, November 9, 2008

Random Ramblings Part 2

The following article will be published in issue 3 of Five on Five Magazine...the best magazine all about Roller Derby. Order your subscription at www.fiveonfivemag.com

Random Ramblings of a Rookie Derby Girl
Part Two: The Draft
By: Cannonball-Z, Member of Mad Rollin Dolls

The fateful day arrived -- Thursday, September 25th. I awoke, realizing that in less than 24 hours I would either be a derby girl or not. Nagging feelings interrupted my usual positive attitude. What if they did not like me? What if I was not fast enough? Was I tough enough? What if…I make it? Wait; I am good enough, tough enough and dammit, people like me!

That was my mantra to get me through the day. Swimming laps that evening with my phone in the locker room I was calm, I was cool; I was not going to wait one more second to find out! I dried off quickly, fumbled with my lock and retrieved the trusty iPhone; only to find reception was non-existent within the facility. Alas, a pocket of reception hanging my head out the back door into the cold night. The message said something about calling someone back regarding the ROLLER DERBY DRAFT. I listened again to make sure. Yup, that was it. Quickly returning the call, I heard a voice on the other end saying something about me being drafted. Somewhere between my screams of excitement I heard about the draft party the next evening! Ok, 24 more hours to find out WHICH fabulous Mad Rollin Doll team would be lucky enough to have chosen me. Silent smile warms my heart and soul. Back to the pool I go. Dreams of roller derby, now a reality.

In the next 24 hours the question was asked and answered more times than I care to recall, “Do you want a particular team?” “No, I like them all.” Preparing for the draft party I imagined myself as a green and silver super hero (Quad Squad), a pink and brown sexy vagabond (Vaudeville Vixens) or a member of the black and white crime syndicate (Reservoir Dolls) and still the same answer…don’t care. Dressed in yellow (as to not show any favorites) I embarked on my evening to solve the mystery.

Arriving at the Inferno early I nervously made small talk with several “old girls” who, by the end of the night, may or may not be my teammates. Fellow “Baby Dolls” – Madison’s name for recruits -- started arriving, all of us wondering who would be together at the end of the evening. Some visibly showed which team they preferred by wearing the colors of the team; I thought that must be bad luck somehow…turns out it was for some. Drinks flowed, old girls mixed with new girls, non-drafted girls shed tears; it began.

Team captains took the stage and, one by one, they called out our names to join their teams. My name was called fourth. As I embraced my new team, the Quad Squad, I felt excited and somewhat disappointed…what?! I did not understand. I thought I did not care which team I was on, but maybe I did. Quick self analysis revealed that the disappointment stemmed from the fact that I was on the BEST team in the league…huh? That means they picked last… oh yeah, that’s why I was not picked FIRST. In my overly competitive mind, not being first is equal to losing. I will never know which round of the draft I was selected in or if other teams were disappointed not to have me…as they should be. All I know is I am a very proud member of the Quad Squad and my name is now Cannonball-Z, Ball-Z for short (thank you Hewitt, Allison and Shutter Speed). My number is 421-the fateful night that too much tequila led me to Kris, now fondly referred to as “Mr. Z,” who brought me to Wisconsin to become a derby girl.

Next Issue:
Random Ramblings of a Rookie Derby Girl-Part Three: Bout Time

No comments: