Sunday, November 9, 2008

Random Ramblings Part One

The following article will be published in the Roller Derby Magazine: Five on Five in the next issue. Purchase at www.fiveonfivemag.com for more great roller derby related articles!

Random Ramblings of an Aspiring Derby Girl
Part One: The Transformation from “Regular Girl” to “Derby Girl”
By: Cannonball-Z

Becoming a derby girl is something most do not dream of as a child, but it is a desire that burns inside of you as a void until it is fulfilled. The huge gaping hole in your soul remains unnoticed until it is consumed by roller derby. An overwhelming sense of belonging hit me like a veteran derby girl the second I laced up my wobbly-wheeled rental skates for try outs.

The idea of playing Roller Derby occurred to me while working for the U.S. Navy in Yokosuka, Japan. In this unlikely scenario I met my dear friend, Allison, who convinced me to start skating again at the small rink on the base. Allison’s sister happens to be Shutter Speed of the Grand Raggidy Roller Girls, and many tales of derby would be told during our sessions. During one of our “jam sessions” we concluded there was no reason we could not bring derby to Yokosuka knowing plenty of women in the Navy who would make excellent derby girls. We approached, or shall I say pestered, the athletic director with the idea. We just about had him convinced, at least in our minds, when the base decided they were closing the rink in order to build a power plant in its place. Dreams of roller derby crushed; tears shed.

Fast Forward (pun intended) several months to my unpredictable move to Madison, WI which is home to the famed Mad Rollin Dolls. Hopes of becoming a derby girl revived I marked the date of try outs on my calendar.

Two enormous events in my life would collide in June of 2008. My big chance to become a derby girl had arrived; Saturday, June 28th, 2008. It just so happened to be the exact same weekend that my boyfriend’s family was there to help us move into our newly purchased home in Madison. It is our first home, my lease was up on Monday, I had to work a special event and roller derby try-outs were that day. Thoughts that raced through my mind, “Ok I can do this; being in several places at once is my specialty. I can do this. No I can’t; it is just too much. I have to help them pack my things, load the truck, paint the house, unpack the things; after all it is my stuff.” Dreams of Roller Derby crushed; tears shed.

Enter my dear boyfriend, Kris. He volunteered to continue packing and cleaning without me enabling me to try out provided I could weasel my way out of work early. Not surprisingly in this state the weather was awful and I was released from the slow special event early. I high tailed it to the rink and made it just in time for day one. After being called back for day two, I was again faced with a struggle. The family was there, the Ryder truck was ready to go, the stuff was not packed, the lease was up at noon the next day, and there was DERBY. Once again all moving efforts on my part were abandoned for several hours to venture out on eight wheels in hopes of making it. Later that day in the midst of moving I got THE phone call. The family was visibly frustrated by my noticeable absence, but I had made it to the next phase: 12-14 weeks of Baby Doll Boot Camp.

Practice Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays for the next 12 weeks was to include conditioning, endurance, technique, learning to play roller derby and much bonding with my fellow “Baby Dolls.”

At the time of writing this article I am down to four remaining Baby Doll practices before the draft. As we head into the draft I am filled with many mixed emotions; sadness knowing some of my fellow Baby Dolls will not make a team, fear of rejection, excitement, nervousness, but most of all I am filled with self pride. Having been through boot camp for the U.S. Army I can honestly say Baby Doll Boot Camp is just as challenging mentally, physically and emotionally; just not as many hours. Whether I become a bonafide derby girl or not this experience has forever transformed me and my feet.

Coming Next Issue: Diary of a Derby Girl-Part Two: The Draft

No comments: